Updated: Sep 22, 2020
DELICIOUS Brussels Sprout Balsamic Recipe
This recipe is both elegant and perfect for every day - because it's cheap, easy, quick, and uses only a few ingredients. It's one I've made for friends and family - for BBQs and Thanksgiving Dinner and of course, I made it all the time for my husband and me at home.
There are two ingredients that elevate this dish (but at not deal breaker if you don't have any on hand) are Vegan Parmesan Cheese and Balslamic Vinegar. This dynamic duo adds an extra depth of savory and sweet that pairs perfectly with the slightly bitter undertone of the Brussel sprouts.
I highly recommend Nuvo Balslamic Vinegar - this brand is my current obsession since picking up some from a farmers market a couple of weeks ago. It's rich and creamy and tastes absolutely perfect on its own - you can order online or pick up at your local farmers market as well if you're a SOCAL local too. Their olive oils are to die for as well.
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do and as always - get creative, have fun and ENJOY eating your plants!
Vegan Brussel Sprouts
Serves: 2-4 | Prep: 5 mins | Cook: 8 Mins | Ready: 13 Mins
Brussel Sprouts (3 cups - quartered)
Grapeseed Oil or Olive Oil (2 tbsp)
Garlic Powder (1 tbsp)
Salt & Pepper (1-2 healthy pinches)
Balsamic Vinegar (drizzle)
Vegan Parmesan Cheese (shredded)
Prep Work: Wash the brussel sprouts and cut into quarters. Start by cutting off the rough stem - cut the round in half - then in half again for quartered slices.
1. Grab a skillet that has a lid and preheat to medium - medium-high heat. Add oil to coat your skillet - then add in the brussel sprouts. Toss the brussel sprouts to completely coat them with oil.
2. Season your brussel sprouts with the garlic powder, salt and pepper and mix to evenly coat. I tend to use a healthy amount of salt - approx 1-2 pinches (about 1-2 tsp). Grab one of the brussel sprouts for a quick taste and add more seasoning to your preference if you feel it's needed.
3. Cover the skillet for approx 5 minutes and slightly reduce the heat to allow your brussel sprouts to cook through. Check them a couple of minutes in to make sure they don't burn.
4. Uncover the skillet and mix the brussel sprouts - cook them for another 2-5 minutes if you want more color/char.
5. Serve by topping with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and shredded vegan parmesan cheese. YUM!
Pro Tip: If you find your store-bought balsamic vinegar is not already thick and creamy out of the bottle - you can add it to a small bot and bring it to a light simmer to reduce the liquid down and thicken it up. This helps it taste more creamy and sweet vs tart and acidic.
I'm completely obsessed with this brand right now - not only is the Balsamic Vinegar absolutely perfect for this recipe - but it's perfect for dressings as well. I'm also loving the olive oils and the truffle oil is out of this world. I believe that using really good ingredients is what elevates a dish - so I want to share the yummy things I find along the way with you so your recipe is amazing too!
Here is their website to shop for yourself.
If you're after more dairy replacement ideas, or even what to do to replace meat in all your favorite recipes, I've put together this Plant-Based Replacement Guide with all my favorite brands and so you can see what I use to keep plant-based food tasting good.
Have any questions? What recipes do you want to see?
Let me know in the comments below!